(Fallopia ssp. (Polygonum ssp.))
• Native to eastern Asia (Japan, China, Korea).
• Herbaceous perennial.
• Hollow stems, similar in appearance to bamboo.
• Reach 3-4 m high.
• May have small cream, white or slightly pink flowers.
• Reproduces vegetatively.
• Adapted to moist conditions, generally shade tolerant.
• Found throughout the region, along roadsides primarily.
Consequences of invasion
• Invades roadsides, disturbed sites, wetlands, riparian areas and streambanks.
• Increases erosion and sedimentation of streambanks and riparian areas.
• Decreases fish habitat and has negative impacts on salmonids.
• Negatively impacts infrastructure such as asphalt and house foundations by growing through them.
• May decrease land value.
Integrated Pest Management Options
• Small Infestations; Digging out the roots, mulching (with cardboard and burlap) and covering with black plastic may work; this will take up to 5 years to control the infestation.
• Chemical control is the only viable treatment option for large infestations-for more information please contact Kootenay Weed Control, 250-512-7378